Portable Personal Air Conditioner – CoolAir Review
There are certain situations or places in which you will not be able to have an air conditioner fixed for whatever reasons. At such times, a personal air conditioner is an ideal solution. These air conditioners are typically apt for relatively smaller places or while you travel elsewhere or camp out frequently.
Click Here to read complete CoolAir review
How personal AC CoolAir works
Since these air conditioners are not as powerful as the full-fledged air conditioners, these are ideal for you to carry with you in contained and small places where you require cooling probably in a tent or if you are a race driver. With the development of technology, this type of air conditioner is providing great comfort during certain needy situations.
Unlike the standard air conditioners, a personal air conditioner does not depend on removing the heat from the air and expelling the same hot air through a vent outside. Instead, most of these air conditioners have to be filled with pounds of ice, which they later convert into cool air. Hence these conditioners are dependant on you filling them with ice if you want to use them continuously.
Some of the latest units use mini split units or window units and these are highly energy efficient.
Portable units for personal use
There are portable air conditioners that can be used in your car, as these are ideal for cooling or heating in any enclosed structure. You may use a portable or personal air conditioner anywhere, as you can take it around wherever you want – whether it is your bedroom, office desk, living room, garage, motor home, boat, or anywhere in the world.
There is a box like arrangement that holds both hot and cold sides of the air conditioner together and a hose exhaust to expel the heat. Water in the air is condensed and held in the drain bucket that is inside the unit through the drain hose. Some of the models use the evaporation technique to produce minimum water or at times zero water.
Different types that are available
Depending on the machinery, there are two types of personal air conditioners – refrigerant technology and evaporative technology. The refrigerant conditioner type is mainly used for operation in room floors and is most similar to the window AC. On the other hand, the evaporative model is widely used in cars and is more energy efficient.
Things that you should realize about these types of air conditioners
This in fact is the most economical way to gain spot cooling effects for homes with small rooms, condominiums, or apartments. At times these are very handy when your AC is not functioning or not providing enough relief. These do not require any installation process and hence can be kept wherever desired.
However, you ought to have an idea about the BTU or British Thermal Units to understand the cooling effect and to decide to choose the right one for your needs. The approximate area of room space that can be cooled by the air conditioners with specific BTUs are:
- For a 150 Square Feet area – 7,500 BTU unit is required
- For 250 Square Feet – 9000 BTU
- For 300 Square Feet – 10,000 BTU
- For 400 Square Feet – 12,000 BTU
- For 450 Square Feet – 13,000 BTU
- For 500 Square Feet – 14,000 BTU
The EER or energy efficiency ratio that is mentioned on the package of the personal air conditioner conveys the amount of energy used by the unit when compared to the cooling effect. The higher efficiency unit displays higher EER rate.
How often should the drainage be emptied?
Most of the portable personal air conditioning units have the feature of auto-evaporation. Here, the water is pulled from the air during the process of cooling and there is no necessity for the tank to be drained. However, make sure you are aware of the system functions, the tank capacity, and the ease of emptying it.
Advantages of a personal system
- These are very energy efficient when compared to the window AC units
- You can save huge amount of money on your bills
- No permanent installation is required for these
- You can use them in any room
- Most of the air conditioners also have air filters that keep the air clean
- Prevents the build up of bacteria
- The majority of the units has auto mode or a timer, which can be set according to the need
Probably the only disadvantage with a portable or personal air conditioner could be noise. However this is also being overcome by the latest innovations and hence you may want to check for the noise-free feature when you propose to buy one. However, most of the units run between 45 decibels to 50 decibels, which is about as noisy as a rustling of the wind.
Tips to maximize the efficiency of a portable air conditioning unit
- With a little effort from your end, you can make sure you have the maximum effect and efficiency and also ensure you contribute to your environment:
- Using a portable personal air conditioner itself is a great energy saving option instead of using a centralized AC unit, as most of the time you would be requiring the cooling effect only in a particular room or space.
- Make sure you know about the EER rate, which is normally 10 to give maximum efficiency.
- You may also contribute to your environment indirectly, if you ensure you buy a unit that has energy star ratings.
- Choosing the appropriate size also greatly contributes to the maximum utilization of the required air conditioning unit. If the unit is too small for your room, more energy would be burnt without having the desired effect. On the other hand bigger than required units would be a waste of energy and may not remove enough humidity from the air.
- Take into account factors like the reason for you to opt for the personal air conditioner, if it is in a room to see how much sunlight the room has and how big the room is, etc.
- Ensure that your portable unit is vented according to the given instructions appropriately at the appropriate intervals.
- Cleaning the units is as important as using them for, this would ensure the improved efficiency of the entire unit to operate at its peak.
During summer, the days just seem so hot that no matter what you do, the warmth of the sun makes you feel more lazy and sweaty. No wonder, almost every household has a personal air conditioner to give the family some cool air.
Air conditioners come in various sizes, styles and designs that you can choose from. If you opt to use it in a big space, then you will need a bigger unit. But if you will just use it for your room, a smaller or even a portable one will work for you. Therefore, you have to consider the size of the floor space where you will be using the unit before deciding to buy the one that best suits your need.
The great thing about an air conditioner is you can set the timer when you want it shut off automatically. Sometimes, it would be very tiresome to turn it on or off manually, so more companies are now selling units with remote control. By using the remote, you can as well conveniently adjust the coolness of your unit to your desired room temperature.
It is important to note that a personal air conditioner needs to be properly maintained to work effectively. You need to be sure that the filter is often cleaned to keep away the dust from clogging therein. Another important thing is to have the whole unit cleaned once every six months. By doing so, you might need assistance from a professional technician if you have doubts in doing it yourself. Without proper maintenance, your air conditioner will not function properly, or worse, it might get destroyed. Aside from that, your electric bills will soar high because more electricity is used when the machine is clogged with dirt and dust.
And speaking of electric bills, using the air conditioner most of the time might be a big factor why your bill is high. If you want to save, you can go for energy efficient units. True enough that these units are a bit expensive but in the long run, you will realize that you are able to save because you spend lesser on your monthly electric bill.
There are also air conditioners available in the market today that have anti bacterial filters. The filter aids in eliminating germs, dusts and bacteria that is found in the air. Therefore, you are sure that the air coming out from your unit is safe and clean. This is best to prevent respiratory problems that are sometimes caused by units which emits hazardous air.
Studies show that people suffering from asthma needs air conditioner because they need a closed environment that is free from pollution. One cause that triggers this ailment is when one inhales air particles containing pollen and dust. As a recourse, people with asthma needs an air purifier to remove these allergens. A clean and dust-free air will surely help lessen the attacks of asthmatic people.
A personal air conditioner is therefore really important to have in our homes to make the warm days become cool and fresh. It will also give us a good night sleep especially after a long stressful day.